Friday, March 5, 2010

Potato Latkes (Pancakes)

Oh yeah the Page family is SO international. This is a Polish side dish. I got it from the Job Corps (or, if you are Obama, Job Corpse) cookbook that I have been going through. I have been told many times that you can make these with leftover mashed potatoes, but have never found an exact recipe for them (I don't really like "just throw in an egg and salt and pepper." I like to be more precise than that, at least for my first time). So even though these used shredded potatoes, I wanted to try them. We had these with bacon and sausage and scrambled eggs. But these ended up so "eggy" that I think next time there will be no eggs with them.

Potato Latkes
3 eggs
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
dash white pepper
1 tbsp minced onion
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cups shredded potatoes (I used frozen ones and didn't even thaw them first. It was fine)
butter
applesauce

Thoroughly combine eggs, flour, salt, pepper, onion and nutmeg. Stir in potatoes. Heat butter in a large skillet until bubbly (at this point I used cooking spray instead of adding butter. They probably would have been better tasting with butter but I wanted to at least attempt to be a bit healthier ha ha). For each pancake, spoon 1/4 cup mixture into skillet; flatten. Fry over medium heat until golden brown; turn and fry until other side is golden brown. Serve with applesauce.

So these were quite tasty. Nathan didn't like them but Sam and Emma really did. Steve and I did too, they were very good. The kids didn't like dipping them in applesauce but we did. A keeper for sure, since we love having breakfast for supper.

No comments: