Thursday, March 18, 2010

Caesar Chicken Burgers

In honor of all of you who have had caesareans to deliver your children, I present you with this recipe. Ha. Also if you like chicken caesar salad and stuff, I bet you will like this one. It's from Simple & Delicious Mar/April 2010. There wasn't really too much in this one that I marked, I think because it is their spring issue, and it uses lots of fresh vegetables that I really don't care for. This says you can make it on the grill outside, or using an indoor grill. Even though crazy Steve barbecued hotdogs last week, we really haven't brought it out in full force yet, so we used the good old George Foreman grill.

Caesar Chicken Burgers
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
4 slices red onion
2 tbsp butter, softened
4 hamburger buns, split
2 cups torn romaine
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (I used grated parm because that seemed fancier)
1/2 cup creamy caesar salad dressing, divided

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Grill on an indoor grill coated with cooking spray for 4-5 minutes or until juices run clear. Grill onion slices for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, spread butter over cut sides of buns. Place buttered side up on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 3-4 inches from the heat for 1 minute or until golden brown. Toss romaine with cheese and 1/4 cup dressing; spoon onto bun bottoms. Top with onions, chicken, and remaining dressing. Place bun tops.

I made this on my previously-complained-about George Foreman grill. I do like that thing but I hate cleaning it. This year at yard sales I am going to be on the lookout for a GF grill that has removable plates. You should see the acrobatics involved in trying to clean it, top and bottom, without getting the middle wet. It's fun. Sometimes Steve cleans it for me, but not this time. So anyway Steve really really liked these. He loved the red onion. I thought it was a bit too strong, though. For Sam's I only used cheese and dressing. For Nathan and Emma, we just cut up some of the chicken with no dressing or anything. I should have pounded the chicken out thinner, even though I hate doing that because it's so messy, and also I think not that effective. I have the Pampered Chef meat tenderizer thing, and I pound the crap out of the chicken, and all it does is like squirt chicken juice everywhere and it's still fat in the middle. But maybe skinnier pieces of chicken would have cooked more evenly. Also it was hard to take a bite sometimes because the chicken was so thick in parts. I used whole wheat buns, too. #1 it's healthier, but also the bread doesn't get as soggy when you add stuff because it's denser. Even still these buns got a bit soggy, so imagine if I used Wonderbread-like white buns. Overall, it was a pretty good dinner, so I guess it's a keeper.

1 comment:

Patty said...

This sounds good! (When I beat chicken I cover it with wax paper and the juice stays put. It works great.) :O)