Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Pulled Pork Burritos

This is another one from the church potluck cookbook that I got for Christmas. I guess not surprisingly, these recipes make a bunch. I now have 3 meals frozen in the freezer since starting this cookbook, because it is just too much to eat in one meal. I guess that's the idea if you're making these for a church potluck...okay so I like to pretend that I know how to cook Mexican food, so that's why I wanted to make these. I like Mexican...not too Mexican though. Taco Bell, yes. Miguel's, maybe. Actual Mexican food in Mexico, probably not. But maybe they eat stuff like this, I don't know. So this recipe you have to start the night before, because you have to marinate the pork. I tell you this to assist in your planning.

Pulled Pork Burritos
4 lb boneless pork loin roast (this was way more than I thought it would be...$14 YIKES but since I have made a few of these recipes, I knew it would make a bunch and be good for more than one meal...)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup vinegar
2 cups chicken stock (I used my own homemade stock yummo)
16 10-inch flour tortillas
2 16 oz can refried beans
2 cups shredded Muenster cheese (I couldn't find this pre-shredded, I had to shred my own)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Cut roast into 3 pieces. In smal bowl, combine brown sugar, dry mustard, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper; mix well. Sprinkle over roast and rub into surface. Cover and marinate in refrigerator overnight. In the morning, place onions and garlic in bottom of 5-6 quart slow cooker. Place pork on top. Pour vinegar and chicken stock over all. Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours or until pork is very tender. Remove pork from slow cooker and shred, using two forks. Add enough of the cooking liquid to moisten meat. Preheat oven to 375. Spread tortillas with refried beans. Top each with some of the shredded pork and cheeses; roll up. Place, seam-side down, in two greased 13x9 casserole dishes. Cover with foil and bake 20-30 minutes.

Obviously if you are making this just for one family you could just use 1 can of beans and 8 tortillas. That's what we did, because even though I knew I was saving a lot of the meat, I wasn't sure how tortillas would do being frozen and reheated. Nathan did not have a burrito. He just had some meat on a plate. But he didn't like it. Sam and Emma did reasonably well, considering. Steve was excited to try these. He saw them in the pan and said "ooooh, enchiladas!" I said, "these are not enchiladas, these are burritos." He gave me a look that said, "so what, I think they are the same thing, also I think you are not really Mexican." I then told him the difference between the two, which may or may not be accurate, but I said very authoritatively, "enchiladas have sauce that you cook them with, burritos do not." And I gave him a look that said, "see? I know what I'm talking about." So, these were pretty good. The meat didn't have too much flavor considering the marinade, but that's okay, I guess that makes the meat more versatile for other recipes.

No comments: