Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Chicken Parmesan

Don't judge me. This is one of my favorite things to buy, make and eat. We had this a lot when I was growing up, because my dad worked crazy hours and it was easy. If my mom served it with a vegetable, I would be mad, because I thought that was ruining it. As a grown-up I have tried several other On-Cor greatest hits, such as Sliced Turkey and Gravy, Salisbury Steak, and Lasagna. I haven't liked any of those. But this one I can't give up. I KNOW it's so so so bad. It's probably not even real chicken. The whole thing only costs $2.08. But it tastes so delicious. Well. I tried this recipe to try to duplicate one of my favorite things. This version does contain actual chicken, so already I'm skeptical...however you fry the chicken in oil, so maybe it has potential. This recipe is from a cookbook my mom gave me years and years ago, called The Everything Cookbook, The Basics of Good Cooking. We had this last night, with Buttered Cheese Noodles (which you can find somewhere on this blog), which we also have whenever we have the above-pictured chicken. Incidentally, Emma has dubbed this chicken "Yummiest Chicken in the World." She can cook it all by herself. Add in her killer garlic bread (also in another post) and I basically don't have to do anything. Another point in On-Cor's favor.

Chicken Parmesan
Sauce:
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 onion, diced
1 can diced tomatoes, lightly drained
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp Italian seasoning
Chicken:
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp pepper
1 egg, beaten
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
vegetable oil for frying

In small skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning. Reduce heat to medium and stir occasionally until thickened, about 10-12 minutes.

While sauce is cooking, combine bread crumbs, cheese, and pepper in wide-rimmed bowl. Dip both sides of chicken breasts first in the egg, then in the bread crumb mixture. Cover a large skillet with oil 1/4 inch deep, and heat to high. Fry chicken breasts for 12-14 minutes, or until no longer pink in the middle, turning once. Drain on paper towels.

At this point, you can put the chicken in sandwich rolls, top with sliced mozzarella and the sauce, and have Chicken Parm Hoagies. Or, you can make pasta and serve the chicken on top of the pasta and top with the sauce and shredded mozzarella.

Amazingly, Emma thought this was an acceptable stand-in. I told her it was Homemade Yummiest Chicken in the World. She liked it. Sam and Steve did too. So did I. Nathan.....DIDN'T!! He didn't like the "crust" on the chicken. What a crazy kid I have. So, although we cannot say this is a healthy meal, I do think it's probably better than my old standby. Because of the real chicken, real tomatoes, real cheese, and lack of preservatives. Again I say, do not judge me. Hee hee.


No comments: