Thursday, October 14, 2010

Crisp Oat Cookies

I love oatmeal raisin cookies. They are in my top 3, the other 2 being Becky's mom's molasses cookies and white chocolate macadamia nut. I don't even like white chocolate, or nuts in general, but for some reason, in that cookie, it really works. Mmmmm. I don't make them, I always get them at the hospital. For a hospital they bake a pretty good cookie. Anyway these are in that Farmhouse Cookbook I'm working through, and I thought I would try them. The cookbook author says these are the most satisfying cookies she's ever eaten. So of course with feedback like that, I had to try them.

Crisp Oat Cookies
1 cup raisins
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
12 tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar (I didn't want to buy a whole bag of dark brown when I don't know what else I would use it for, so I just used regular)
1/2 cup heavy (whipping) cream
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 375. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (yes, I did buy parchment paper for this. It was my first time buying it. There happened to be a coupon at the same time for $1.00 off. My favorite thing about using the parchment paper was that I didn't have to wash the pans after. I just let them cool and put them away. Not sure how much of a difference it makes in the actual cookie). Soak the raisins in hot water to cover for at least 30 minutes. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt together. Add the rolled oats and set aside. Cream the butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the brown sugar and mix until thoroughly blended and light. Then add the cream and vanilla. Drain the raisins, discarding the soaking liquid, and add the to the sugar mixture. Mix until they are distributed throughout. Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Divide the dough in half, and roll out one half so it is 1/4" thick. Using 2-inch cookie cutters, cut out as many cookies as you can. Place the cookies 1/4" apart on one of the prepared baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough. Reserve any scraps, roll them out a second time, and cut out the remaining cookies. Try to use up all the dough, as it will toughen if it is rolled out again. Bake the cookies until they are golden, about 13 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool. 55 cookies.

Okay. I hate rolling out dough. That's why I don't like to make biscuits, or my own pie crust, or sugar cookies. I don't have a good reason, I just really don't like it. But I thought, if this makes the best cookies (as the claim is by this lady) then it will be worth a shot. But it didn't work, I still hated it. I rolled out and cut enough to fit on one of the cookie sheets. Then I was like, this is for the birds. So for the rest of them I used my Pampered Chef scoop and then flattened them down. They all tasted the same. Also, how weird to have a cookie dough without eggs. But I could at least let the kids eat it without feeling guilty or worrying about salmonella. Additonally, no cinnamon or nutmeg? Oh well. So long story short, these were okay. They aren't even going to replace the other recipe I have for oatmeal raisin cookies. But they weren't bad.

No comments: