Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

This is probably one of the simplest recipes that is in this Farmhouse Cookbook that I'm going through. We do like blueberry muffins here. This recipe is from an Arkansas vegetable farmer. Apparently the lady really likes this one, the cookbook author said she had a bunch of exclamation points by this one. So I decided to try it. We had this for supper tonight with scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage. Breakfast for supper once again, oh yeah.

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
6 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
4 tbsp butter, melted
1 heaping cup blueberries (fresh or frozen. If frozen, do not thaw)

Preheat oven to 425. Lightly oil 12 muffin cups. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg together. Mix in the oats. In a large bowl, stir together the milk, vanilla, egg, and melted butter. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until they are thoroughly moistened. Don't overmix or the muffins will be tough. Fold in the blueberries. Fill the prepared muffin cups 2/3 full with batter, and bake in center of the oven until the muffins are golden and spring back when lightly touched, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the tins from the oven, turn the muffins out on a wire rack, and let them cool for 5 minutes before serving. 12 muffins.

First of all I want to say that I almost forgot to add the blueberries. ???? How could that be? I mixed everything else and was about to put the batter into the muffin cups, when I felt like I was forgetting something. Oh yeah. The blueberries...So anyway once these were baked, they were not a hit. There was a lot of oatmeal there. Almost like there was no batter, just oatmeal and blueberries. Nathan wouldn't even try one, and Emma had one bite. Sam ate his, but he is getting better at just eating whatever it is. Steve and I weren't crazy about them either. Now I'm not sure what to do with the rest. It's not like I can freeze them and give them away to a family I'm making a meal for..."We didn't like these, so we froze them and saved them for you." Especially if that family is a reader of New Recipe Night. So I don't know what to do with them. Right now they are in a ziploc bag on my counter. I probably will eat at least one or two more for breakfast in the morning, but I don't know about the others. Probably grow some penicillin on them, maybe. With the rising health care costs, and me trying to make so many things homemade, it might be time to branch off into antibiotics, anyway.

No comments: