Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Steak and Cheese Wraps

This is another recipe from that old cookbook from my mom, The Everything Cookbook. This actually worked out perfect, because my mom has the kids today because I had to go to the dentist to get the rest of my root canal done. This is something my kids wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole, so it worked out well to have this tonight when they are eating pancakes with Oma. I knew Steve would love this, that's why I picked this one.

Steak and Cheese Wraps
4 tortillas
8 oz Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese (I used shredded Mexican. Cheese. Not a real shredded Mexican, that would be mean and gross)
2 large onions, sliced thickly
2 green peppers, sliced thickly
1 pound sirloin steak, sliced into 1/4" strips
3 tbsp olive oil
2-3 tsp black pepper

Preheat oven to 350. On a baking sheet, layer tortillas with thinly sliced cheese to within 1 inch from edge. Set aside. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, green peppers, and black pepper. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes. Push vegetables to sides of pan and add the steak strips in the middle. Cook to desired doneness, stirring occasionally. When about 4 minutes are left in cooking time, put the tortillas in the oven. Mix together the steak and onion/pepper mixture in the pan. Remove tortillas from the oven when the cheese is close to melted, and layer each tortilla with the steak mixture. Roll the tortilla halfway from bottom to top, fold one side in about an inch so no ingredient can slip out that side, and continue to roll the rest of the way. Continue with remaining tortillas. Serve hot.

So my rolling didn't work exactly that way, I think maybe because my tortillas were too small. They were 8 inch ones, but they were very hard to roll. I just folded them and we ended up eating them like soft tacos. Also I only ended up using 1 onion and 1 green pepper. It just sounded like too much to have 2 of each. It ended up being perfect. I think you could use a red pepper too with yummy results, plus you would look way more authentic. These were very yummy and definitely a keeper!!

No comments: