Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Herb Bubble Bread

Making a meal for a family tonight, and made these rolls to go with it. The soup I made was this yummy chicken soup that Terri gave me the recipe for years ago, that I call "Yummy Chicken Soup." Tricky. The rolls are from the Oct/Nov 2010 magazine of Simple & Delicious. I wanted to try it because it seems easy. But, it starts with frozen bread dough, which some people have issues with. Sometimes I do too, depending on what mood I'm in. But, for the sake of easiness, and for once in a while, I think nothing bad will happen if we start with frozen bread dough.

Herb Bubble Bread
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
3/4 tsp dried parsley flakes
1/4 tsp dill weed (sounds like something I call my sister when I'm mad, not an herb...)
1/8 tsp each dried thyme, basil, and rosemary, crushed
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tsp minced garlic
1 loaf (1 lb) frozen bread dough, thawed

In a small bowl, combine cheese and seasonings. In another bowl, combine butter and garlic; set aside. Divide dough into 16 pieces. Roll into balls. Coat balls in butter mixture, then dip in cheese mixture. Place in a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 350 for 22-26 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. Serve warm.

So at the Walmart I couldn't find whole loaves of frozen bread dough. So I bought the same idea, frozen dinner rolls. Not the Pillsbury ones. The ones in the orange bag. So I thawed those, and then progressed to the next step, and got to skip rolling balls, which made me like this recipe even more. I made a double batch of this, so we could have one and the other family could have one (I'm not saying who it is in case they are sensitive re: privacy issues. But I will say she's a loyal blog reader and if she wants to identify herself and give feedback, she is welcome to). But, I didn't have quite enough parmesan cheese to double it. After about 2 rolls, I realized I would not have enough of the herb mixture to do this to all the rolls, so for the second pan I just dipped them in the butter. I figured the kids (hers and mine) would like them better plain anyway.

So, everyone liked these. Emma and Sam each had 2 plain ones, Nathan had 1 plain one. That's pretty good right there. The herb ones were good too. We dipped them in the soup, and yum. Totally a keeper, especially since I have 12 more frozen rolls.

No comments: