Sunday, November 21, 2010

Southwest Beef and Rice Skillet

We had this on Friday night, but I haven't had time to post it yet...the last time I made Spanish-type rice, it was kind of bland...this I wanted to try because it sounded more flavorful, at least it had more spices and such...it's from Simple & Delicious Oct/Nov 2010. This made a LOT; I brought half of it to a family I was making a meal for and we ate the other half. This would have been perfect with cornbread. Or crackers. We just had it with itself.

Southwest Beef and Rice Skillet
1 1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can (15 oz) Ranch-style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)(they didn't have these at Walmart...I just used a can of black beans, because everybody likes those)
1 cup beef broth
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese (we used used shredded Colby/Jack because I knew pepper jack would not be okay with the little ones. Or, honestly, with me either. I don't like spice!)

Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the rice, beans, broth, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt, cumin, and pepper; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Most of us thought this was great. You can guess who didn't. But, he did eat it, under duress. They need to get used to rice, and over the past several weeks I have prepared it in a variety of yummy ways, but he doesn't seem to love it yet. Sigh. Keep trying, I guess. I am definitely keeping this one.

No comments: