Friday, November 26, 2010

Maple Pretzel Chicken

The kids MUST like this. I cannot see why they wouldn't like it. That's why I wanted to make this one, because what can go wrong with maple syrup and pretzels? It's from the Oct/Nov 2010 Simple and Delicious.

Maple Pretzel Chicken
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 egg
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cups crushed pretzels (make sure they are crushed finely)
1/4 cup canola oil

Flatten chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and syrup. Place pretzels in a separate shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg mixture and coat with pretzels. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. 4 servings.

Made a double batch of this to give to a dear co-worker for a meal. Also, they are not kidding when they say the pretzels need to be finely crushed. I had mine pretty well crushed, or so I thought. Perhaps a better word to describe how their texture should be is "pulverized." Anyway this smelled great, tasted great, and was very easy. If you also need to double this, for whatever reason, you don't need to double the syrup and egg mixture, I had very much of this left over after coating 9 chicken pieces with it. Steve wondered if we could do some kind of weird french toast adaptation with it, but I felt weird about it since it had had raw chicken in it. Anyway, another keeper. Just have to remember the pulverize the pretzels next time. I will write that on the recipe...weirdly, Sam was the one who didn't care for this. He reminded me that he doesn't really like pretzels. But Nathan and Emma both liked it. I have discovered that it IM-possible to please everyone in this house in a single meal. It's probably like that at your house, too, I bet, so I'm not feeling bad about it. But it would be nice if all 3 of them could agree on something besides Pop Tarts and chicken nuggets...oh well...

No comments: