Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Chocolate Toffee Delights

I made these for home fellowship a few nights ago. It's from the Taste of Home magazine issue I mentioned before, with the section that should be called something like Complicated Cookies. But, these are bars, and not that complicated. The person who submitted the recipe said they remind her of her favorite Girl Scout cookies. She means Samoas. These were pretty good, but no samoa.

Chocolate Toffee Delights
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar, divided
3/4 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp coconut extract
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted and cooled
1 jar (12 1/4 oz) caramel ice cream topping
3/4 cup chocolate chips

In a small bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in extracts. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Press into greased 13x9 baking pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Prick crust with fork; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake 15 minutes longer or until set.

Meanwhile, place coconut and almonds in a food processor (I used my Tupperware chopping thing); cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in caramel. Spread over crust. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until edges are bubbly. Cool on wire rack.

In microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over caramel mixture. Let stand until chocolate is set. Cut into bars. Store in airtight container.

So. This was potluck (or, potprovidence, as Becky said ha ha) night at home fellowship. There were a lot of desserts. Barely any of these got eaten. So, I don't know if that's because people didn't like the looks of them, or if there was just so many things to eat. I know that my kids did not like them, because of the coconut. I thought they were pretty good. But now we are faced with finishing off all the rest of them...I guess not a keeper. There are other things that require less ingredients to buy and have more mass appeal. And I don't mean to my Catholic friends. Ha ha.

No comments: