Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Orange-Cashew Chicken & Rice

This is what we had for dinner tonight. Again with a chicken and rice type thing. These just always look so good to me, and we need to get used to rice anyway...this is from Oct/Nov '09 Tase of Home. My sister gave it to me.

Orange-Cashew Chicken & Rice
1 cup instant brown rice
1 can (11 oz) mandarin oranges
1/4 cup chopped cashews (I couldn't find these already chopped; I had to buy them whole and chop them myself, with my new Tupperware Quick Chop thingy...I'm sure that's not the real name of it...)
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
3/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I doubled the amount of chicken so 5 people could eat this)
1 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup chopped bok choy or celery (ummmm...I totally used celery...but bok choy is chinese cabbage, I think...try it if you want)
1/4 cup minced chives

Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, drain the oranges, reserving 2 tbsp juice. In a small bowl, combine the cashews, broth, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and reserved juice; set aside.

In a large wok (again with the wok) or skillet, stir-fry chicken in oil until no longer pink. Add cashew mixture; cook 1 minute longer. Add the bok choy, chives and reserved oranges; cook and stir for 2 minutes.

Fluff rice with fork; serve with chicken mixture.

So I decided at the last minute to not force Nathan to eat this. I knew by looking at it that he wasn't going to like it. So he had dinosaur chicken nuggets. Everyone else had this. Steve and I thought it was very very good. It really was. Sam and Emma both ate it. So this is definitely a keeper. It tasted very Chinese-y, which is a plus or minus depending on what you feel about that type of food.

No comments: