Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Penne Gorgonzola with Chicken

The main problem with this recipe is that I couldn't find any gorgonzola cheese, either at Walmart or Hannaford. It may be that I was looking in the wrong place. I was looking in the cheese section, but not in the deli section. So maybe they have it, for a lot of money, at the deli. I don't know. I ended up replacing the gorgonzola with shredded Italian cheese (a delightful 5-cheese blend, according to the Kraft people). Also, this recipe uses penne pasta, which most of you probably know is pronounced PEN-NAY. The heading of this recipe, which was a contest winner, is "Worth Every Penne." Every time I think of it I laugh. I love puns and stuff. So this is from the Oct/Nov 2010 Taste of Home.

Penne Gorgonzola with Chicken
1 pkg (16 oz) penne pasta
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breats, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup white wine (I used chicken broth)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 cups crumbled gorgonzola cheese
6-8 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced (I just used 1 tsp dried sage)
Salt and pepper to taste
Grated parmesan cheese and minced fresh parsley

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, brown chicken in oil on all sides. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from the pan. Add cream and broth; cook until sauce is slightly thickened and chicken is no longer pink. Stir in cheese, sage, salt, and pepper; cook just until cheese is melted.

Drain pasta; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and parsley.

So this was pretty good. I told the kids it was like fancy macaroni and cheese. Unfortunately I didn't think very far ahead, and for lunch we had...macaroni and cheese. Oh well. This made a lot. We didn't even eat half of it. So there will be definitely enough for another meal, or it would be good for company with a salad or something. We had it with shredded carrots and dressing. So, pretty good meal overall.

No comments: