Thursday, December 9, 2010

Peanut Chicken Stir Fry

This is the last recipe I have marked to try from the October/November 2010 Simple & Delicious. There were a lot in this one to try. I think we've had something like this before, but I still wanted to try it because I think the other one you had to marinate for a while, so while "delicious," it wasn't exactly "simple." We'll see if I think this one is.

Peanut Chicken Stir Fry
8 oz uncooked thick rice noodles (I had every intention of using these, but they didn't have them at Walmart and I didn't make it over to the NLC to see if they had them there...so I used spaghetti, ha ha)
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup peanut butter
4 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch strips
2 tbsp canola oil, divided
1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets (most of us don't like broccoli. If poor Steve wants it, he has to order it at a restaurant. I used sugar snap peas instead of the broccoli)
1/2 cup shredded carrot

Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the water, soy sauce, peanut butter, brown sugar, lemon juice, garlic, and pepper flakes; set aside.

In a large skillet or wok (like I have a wok), stir-fry chicken in 1 tbsp oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. Stir fry broccoli and carrot in remaining oil for 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir sauce mixture; add sauce and chicken to the skillet. Drain noodles; toss with chicken mixture.

If you have a wok (please raise your hand if you have one; I bet not many do) this would be a good excuse to use it, because I bet you don't get many chances. Unless you use it ALL the time and knew you would and so that's why you got one. Anyway Steve and I really liked this. For the younger kids I just put everything separated out, and they ate it fine. For Sam I did it just like ours, just everything together. Sam said he didn't like the "consistency" of the sauce. He's turning into such a food critic, which is good. It always bugs me when a kid says "I don't like it" and then I say "what don't you like about it?" and they say "I don't know, I just don't." So if they have an actual reason it bugs me less. Especially Sam, who likes almost everything anyway. So I want to keep this recipe, because it was really good, but not sure how often I'll be making it, since only Steve and I really liked it...

No comments: