Sunday, November 27, 2011

Caribbean Chips with Apricot Salsa

We had these to go with the Jamaican soup I just posted. I didn't make the salsa to go with these, because I initially hadn't planned on making these chips, but I just happened to buy tortillas for another recipe, so I thought I would just try them. So I didn't have the apricot preserves to make the salsa. We just dipped these in the soup, but that was a mistake.

Caribbean Chips with Apricot Salsa
2 tsp Caribbean jerk seasoning (I used Pampered Chef Jamaican Jerk seasoning)
1/4 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp ground allspice
4 flour tortillas
cooking spray
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup apricot preserves

Combine first six ingredients in a small bowl. Coat both sides of each tortilla with cooking spray; sprinkle with seasoning mixture. Stack all 4 tortillas on top of each other and cut the stack into 8 wedges using a very sharp knife. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400 for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, combine salsa and preserves in a small bowl. Serve with chips.

Okay so these probably would be okay as an appetizer, but I wouldn't serve them with the soup. They were extremely seasoned. I liked them better than I liked the soup, which is why you shouldn't make them together, because it will make you think the soup isn't good, when probably the soup should just be served with bread and butter and it would taste great. But only Steve and I liked the chips. Not even Sam liked them, and they ended up having Pringles with their soup. I had Pringles coupons this week and last week, which made them very cheap, but I hate that the cans are so tall they won't fit into my cupboard. So I have this Pringles shrine in between the microwave and the bread maker. Looks silly. Anyway I might keep this one to try again, and serve it just as an appetizer and not as a side to the soup. I'm going to go to the Simple & Delicious website and tell them that, too. Oh also, if I make them again I'm going to brush the tortillas with oil instead of using cooking spray, because they will be yummier that way.

No comments: