Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Slow-Cooker Cheesy Chicken & Potatoes

This is what we had last night. It's from the "Holiday 2011" Kraft Food & Family that my sister just gave me. It looked easy, and I had some red potatoes left over from last week so I made it. We have homeschool co-op on Tuesdays, which is always a crazy day, so Monday night I put this all in the crockpot, and put the liner in the fridge. Tuesday morning I took it out of the fridge, left it on the counter for about an hour to come to room temp, then put it on low right before I left. Coming home yesterday the kitchen smelled great, and then I could do nothing until it was time for supper. I watched the Amazing Race episode I had missed on Sunday night, and I think it was an afternoon well spent.

Slow-Cooker Cheesy Chicken & Potatoes
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 lb red potatoes (about 3), very thinly sliced
1 tsp paprika
8 small bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 lb), skin removed (I bought boneless skinless thighs)
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
1/4 lb (4 oz) Velveeta, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (omitted...the green pepper is enough green for one dish for this family haha)

Place peppers in bottom of crock pot sprayed with cooking spray; top with potatoes. Sprinkle paprika over chicken. Place 4 thighs on top of veggies; cover with soup then remaining thighs. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or high 3 to 4 hours.

Use slotted spoon to transfer chicken and veggies to serving plate; keep warm. Set crock pot to high heat. Add velveeta and worcestershire sauce to reserved liquid in crock pot; stir. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Stir until velveeta is completely melted and sauce is well blended. Spoon over chicken and vegetables and sprinkle with parsley.

So even though this was very easy, it wasn't that great. Velveeta is very expensive, even though it's not real cheese. It was $3.50ish for 1 lb or $4.50ish for 2 lbs, so I got 2 lbs because I can make taco dip with the rest of it. But the sauce just wasn't very cheesy. The 2 little ones didn't like the potatoes. The chicken was very tender and good, but the sauce didn't do anything for it. So not saving this one. But I am going to do that thing with the crock pot more often.

No comments: