Saturday, November 12, 2011

Stovetop Italian Macaroni

This is from the Simple & Delicious I just got in the mail last week. It sounded easy, and I only had to buy one ingredient, the tomatoes. Also I like almost everything with onion soup mix. One time I had a coupon for save $1 on Lipton dried soup or whatever. I bought onion and "savory herb and garlic." Yesterday I found the savory herb one in my cupboard, with a use-by date of Oct 24, 2008. HA! Guess I only like the onion one! I threw that other one away. I will use things a bit past their best-by date, but that's too much. Okay so here's this one.

Stovetop Italian Macaroni
1 lb ground beef
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups water
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (if desired)(I left this out. Too risky)
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Cook beef over medium heat in a Dutch oven until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, water, soup mix, Italian seasoning, and pepper flakes if using. Bring to a boil. Stir in macaroni. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-9 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

The grownups + Sam liked this. From the littles, a refrain of "I don't like tomatoes." "I don't like cheese." When reminded this is the same cheese that appears on cheese pizza and in stuffed shells, the littlest replied, "No it's not!" Anyway it was a fine meal, and lots of leftovers for the week to come, but probably a one hit wonder.

No comments: