Friday, July 13, 2012

Haitian Turkey

This is another recipe from my Taste of Haiti cookbook.  We actually ate in a real Haitian restaurant this last trip in.  Just Steve and I, with one of our interpreters.  The chicken was so good, even though I am not sure what part of the chicken I ate.  One part was definitely a drumstick.  I don't know about the other one.  I have not made a recipe from this book yet that tasted like that.  I was hoping this would be the one.

Haitian Turkey (Koden'n)
1 small turkey cut into 12 to 20 pieces (ummmmm, I just bought turkey drumsticks and turkey wings)
1 large lime, cut in half
2 tbsp ground spices (recipe follows)
1 large onion, sliced, divided
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 chives or shallots, sliced
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 tbsp pikliz vinegar (see previous post for recipe)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 thyme sprigs
1/4 green pepper, sliced
1/4 red pepper, sliced
 Ground spices:
1 garlic head, peeled
2 green peppers
2 onions
3 scallions
3 cilantro sprigs, leaves only
10 parsley sprigs, leaves only
1/2 cup oil
 Grind all ingredients in a blender (in Haiti they would use a mortar and pestle) and place in 1-qt jar.  Keep refrigerated.

Rinse turkey pieces in cold water.  Wipe turkey with lime halves and rinse with water again.  Place turkey in large (very large) bowl.  In a small bowl combine 2 tbsp ground spices, 1/2 of the onion slices, garlic, chives, salt, pepper, and pikliz vinegar.  Pour over the turkey, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour and up to overnight.

Heat the oil.  Brown the turkey for 40 minutes, covered, reserving the marinade juices.  Add tomato paste, remaining onion, thyme, and pepper slices to reserved marinade juices and pour over the turkey once it's browned.  Lower heat and simmer for 40 more minutes, covered, stirring occasionally so sauce does not thicken too much.  If sauce thickens, add 1/4 cup water and stir.  Taste and adjust salt and pikliz if necessary (how would I know??).  Serve with rice, boiled sweet potato, or friend plantains (we had ours with rice).


Turkey pieces are very big.  I had to use my largest Tupperware bowl to marinate the pieces, and then my largest frying pan was barely big enough to fit them all in at one time, and I had 3 turkey drumsticks and 2 wings.  2 drumsticks fed 3 kids and me.  1 wing was too much for Steve.  He said he felt like Fred Flinstone (remember how big the brontosaurus burgers were?).  The sauce was almost exactly like I ate at the Haitian restaurant, though, except theirs was a bit spicier.  So I will make this again, but I will stick with chicken.  Parts of chicken I can identify, even.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good recipe,I like it. its the way the Haitians do it.