Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Italian Dipping Sticks

This is a really easy recipe you can make with your kids.  Tonight we had manicotti and these breadsticks.  Some families would probably have a salad with a meal like this, but not ours.  It's from my Simple & Delicious mag, and it's marked as a recipe easy for kids to help with.  Right now Nathan loves helping in the kitchen, much more than Sam did (or even still does) at that age.  I absolutely love cooking, and my two littlest like to help a lot.  I was feeling bad a few months ago that Sam never helped me, and I thought it was time for him to learn some basics anyway, so I let him pick a recipe and help me make it.  About halfway through, he was like "do you need my help anymore?"  Like he totally didn't get that I was doing it for him to learn.  He just isn't interested in that, I guess.  If it was Make Food Out Of Legos I bet he would be very interested.  But I am going to make a more concerted effort going forward, because I do want him to be a blessing to his wife someday.  Steve knows his way around the kitchen, and likes to cook (if I move over and let him ha ha)...he has two "specialties" which are breakfast sandwiches and chicken quesadillas.  He dabbles in other things too.  Sometimes in my meal planning, when I know I am going to be wiped out after a long stretch of work or something, I will plan for him to cook that night.  Hee hee.  "Honey, you're cooking tomorrow!"  "Okay..."  He doesn't mind.  But he would rather eat my food, which is one of the things I LOVE about him!  Whatever I make, he likes it.  But anyway, back to the recipe.  Only 3 ingredients, and very easy for kids to help you with.

Italian Dipping Sticks
1 tube (11 oz) refrigerated breadsticks
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 cup pizza sauce (I didn't use this because we were having an Italian meal that is saucy)

Unroll breadstick dough; cut each piece in half widthwise and separate.  Combine parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning in a large ziploc bag.  Add dough pieces, a few at a time, and shake to coat.

Place on ungreased baking sheet.  Bake at 375 for 10-13 minutes or until golden brown.  Meanwhile, warm pizza sauce in microwave or in a small saucepan.  Serve with breadsticks.

Okay, short easy recipe.  But they weren't that good.  My helpful children rated the meal.  Sam, who rates on a 5 point scale, said the manicotti was a 5 and the breadsticks were a 4.  Emma has a 10 point scale, and gave the manicotti an 8 and the breadsticks a 4.  Nathan wouldn't even try one, even though he helped make them.  He does not have a formal rating scale at this time.  I just thought they were meh.  A little dry.  Not very tasty.  Steve thinks it's just because we're used to garlic bread with meals like this, and these didn't even have any garlic in them.  Maybe.  I feel like I should have rolled them in melted butter and then in the cheese and seasonings...

No comments: