Friday, August 3, 2012

Lemon Chicken Breasts with Veggies

This is one from last week that I haven't had a chance to post yet.  It's a crock pot recipe, so it's very easy, and it has lemon, which I really like.  From Simple & Delicious.

Lemon Chicken Breasts with Veggies
1 lb fresh baby carrots
3 cups cubed red potatoes
1 pkg (14 oz) frozen pearl onions, thawed (I couldn't find these so I just diced an onion)
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
6 bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, undliuted
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt

Combine carrots, potatoes, and celery in a 5 or 6 quart slow cooker.  Top with chicken.  Combine the soup, water, lemon juice, parsley, thyme, pepper, and salt; pour over top.  Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until a thermometer reads 170.

I didn't buy bone-in chicken breasts because I almost always have frozen boneless ones in my freezer.  So I started this at lunch time, and cooked it on high for 4.5 hours, and it was perfect (I didn't defrost the chicken first).  The chicken came out moist, and the veggies were great.  I love carrots cooked in the crock pot with chicken or beef.  The lemon flavor was subtle, and not overpowering.  This was a good easy recipe.  I wonder how it would be with lime...

No comments: