Monday, August 20, 2012

Turkey and Bean Burritos

At last, near the end of August, I am starting the cookbook my mom gave me for Christmas last year.  It is called Back of the Box Cooking-30 Minute Meals.  I thought, from my first glance at the cover, that it was going to be mostly recipes with prepackaged mixes as the first/main ingredient.  But you know what they say about judging books by their covers.  In this case it has a literal application.  The brands featured range from dairy to bread to vegetables.  And a lot of the time, the thing they want you to buy can be subbed for a cheaper thing.  The ingredient this recipe features is the yogurt.  They took that one thing and built this recipe around it, I think to be an alternative to sour cream.  

Turkey and Bean Burritos
1 tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced (omitted)
1 cup shredded turkey (I used browned ground turkey)
1 (14 oz) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
Juice of 1 lime
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (omitted)
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup plain yogurt
6 10-inch flour tortillas
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oil in skillet to medium-high.  Add onion, garlic, and jalapeno and saute until onion is clear, about 5 minutes.  Reduce heat to medium and add turkey, tomatoes, lime juice, cumin, cayenne, and cilantro.  Let simmer for 5 minutes.  In small bowl combine black beans, rice, and yogurt; set aside.  On flat surface, place 1/2 cup turkey mixture in center or tortilla and 1/2 cup of beans and rice mixture.  Add 1/3 cup cheese to each burrito.  Fold left and then right side of tortilla over filling.  Roll up unfolded sides.  Cut in half and serve with salsa.

Okay so I left out the yogurt all together.  I thought I wouldn't like that creamy factor in my burritos.  So what I did is combined the beans and rice with the meat and tomato mixture, and put about 3/4 cup on each burrito, and then sprinkled with cheese.  I got 6 burritos out of it.  I thought they were pretty good.  Emma took hers apart because she was afraid of the tomatoes.  And Nathan had just the ground turkey and rice on his plate, from before they ever became burrito filling.  But Steve, Sam, and I liked them.  I do like enchiladas better though...so overall a good debut recipe from this cookbook.

No comments: