Monday, August 20, 2012

Panko Chicken and Pasta with Garlic Oil

These are the last two recipes I have marked in this Simple & Delicious.  I hope a new one comes soon.  I realize I could just scan the internet for recipes, but I like having something to hold that I can write on, dog ear pages (even though I HATE that in any other kind of book, it is acceptable in cookbooks and cooking magazines), rip out recipes that are good, etc.  The chicken recipe came with  a recipe for homemade fresh marinara sauce, but I didn't make it because I already have a sauce recipe that I make that I like, and none of the kids would have liked marinara with fresh tomato chunks in it, they just like ketchup or barbecue sauce with their chicken fingers--which is essentially what this is, homemade chicken fingers.  Sam had his with hot wing sauce.  My sister in law left a bottle of it behind when she was here, and that kid has been putting it on everything.  I bet you are thinking "not everything."  But you would be almost wrong.  He hasn't put it on his breakfast cereal yet, but that's about it.

Panko Chicken
1 egg
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tbsp flour
1 tbsp minced fresh parsley (I used 1 tsp dried)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Dash salt and pepper
1 lb chicken tenderloins (I used boneless chicken breasts I already had, cut into strips)
1/4 cup olive oil (I needed way more)

Beat egg in shallow bowl.  Combine bread crumbs, flour, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper in another shallow bowl.  Dip chicken in egg, then roll in crumb mixture.  Cook chicken in batches in oil in a large skillet over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.  Drain on paper towels. 

Pasta with Garlic Oil
8 oz uncooked spaghetti (we used bow ties)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup jarred sliced mushrooms (omitted)
1/4 cup sliced ripe olives (omitted)
2 to 3 tsp minced fresh basil (I used 1 tsp dried)
2 to 3 tsp minced fresh parsley (I used 1 tsp dried)
1/8 tsp garlic salt
1/8 to 1/4 tsp pepper
shredded parmesan cheese

Cook spaghetti according to package directions.  Meanwhile, saute garlic in oil in a large skillet.  Stir in the mushrooms, olives, basil, parsley, garlic salt, and pepper.  Cook for 5 minutes.  Drain spaghetti; place in serving bowl.  Pour sauce over pasta and toss to coat.  Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

The chicken was nothing exciting, but it was good.  Everybody liked it.  The pasta was great.  It tasted so good.  We are definitely having the pasta again, and will probably have the chicken again too.  Easy yummy supper, which is the best kind.  

No comments: