Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cinnamon-Maple Pork Chops

This is the second to last recipe from this cookbook, Back of the Box.  The last one is the pumpkin muffins I referred to in a post a few days ago...I am going to try to make them tomorrow to take to work tomorrow night, and then I can call this cookbook "done."  Woot!  Of course I have about 2/3 of a shelf full of cookbooks waiting to be started.  The ingredient they want you to buy for this recipe is the ketchup.  They want you to buy Heinz, but I always buy Hunt's (with no HFCS).

Cinnamon-Maple Pork Chops
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp fresh thyme
2 tsp hot pepper sauce (I used zero tsp)
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 green onions, finely chopped
6 thick pork chops (about 3 lbs)(I used boneless)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Combine ketchup, syrup, seasonings, hot pepper sauce, and garlic in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce is very thick.  Cool completely; stir in onions (I did not cool it completely, who has time for that?  I cooled it for 10 minutes).  Preheat the grill to medium high and grease lightly (I used my George Foreman grill).  Sprinkle chops with salt and pepper; coat all over with half of the sauce.  Grill chops, basting often with remaining sauce, for about 7 minutes per side or until only slightly pink in the center.

I only had 4 pork chops, so I only made 1/2 of the sauce.  Even then it was plenty.  I knew 2 cups of ketchup would be too much, even if it was going to reduce down some when it was boiling.  It smelled so great, and the kids all thought so too.  We had this with mashed potatoes and corn.  It was a very yummy meal and we'll definitely have it again.

No comments: