Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Honey Cashew Five-Spice Pork

I think the name of this one pretty much tells you what's in it.  The recipe writers must have run out of descriptive ideas.  This is from Back of the Box, and they just want you to buy the pork.  I already had some in the freezer left over from something else.  5-Spice powder is an expensive spice with cinnamon, cloves, fennel, pepper, and anise.  Anise is what the flavor of black licorice is.  Which I do not like.  But I didn't know that until I bought a whole bottle of this stuff for some ridiculous price.  Counting this recipe, I have used it 3 times.  I still have like 42 tsp left in the jar or something.  But little by little I will get through it.  I should say that Sam loves licorice.  He loves Good & Plenty, the candy that isn't even good.  It's so bad they probably torture terrorists with it at Club Gitmo.  So while I do not care for the flavor, others in my family do.  I didn't even mention the anise aspect of it though.  Also I did not tell them that this recipe is like Chinese food, because Nathan and Emma wouldn't have liked it if they thought that.

Honey Cashew Five-Spice Pork
8-10 oz boneless pork chops, cut into 1/2" strips (I used 1 lb pork tenderloin)
3/4 tsp 5-spice powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup unsalted cashews (it didn't say to toast them but I did because I love the flavor of toasted nuts)
Hot cooked rice

Sprinkle pork pieces with 5-spice powder and salt.  Stir together honey and soy sauce; set aside.  Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add pork and cook until browned on all sides and no longer pink, about 4-5 minutes (mine took longer because I cut the tenderloin into medallion-type shapes instead of strips.  I knew it would take longer so I only used medium heat so the outsides wouldn't burn).  (At this point I drained the skillet, even though it doesn't say to.)  Add cashews; drizzle with soy sauce mixture, stirring to coat; immediately remove from heat.  Serve over rice.

I'm just realizing as I type this out that I doubled the amount of meat but not the amount of anything else.  That's okay though, there was still plenty of sauce.  It might have been nice to have a bit more for the rice, but just for the meat itself it was fine.  We had this with the last of the green beans that Steve's work friend gave us that I had frozen this summer.  Everybody liked this.  They all thought it smelled and tasted great.  Seriously all I could taste was the licorice flavor.  Maybe they should have called this one "Good & Plenty Pork."

No comments: