Saturday, July 6, 2013

Apple Berry Crumble

This is one of the last recipes I have marked from my Christmas cookbook.  This is berry season in Maine, so it seemed like a good time to make this, even if it was a stupid day to have the oven on (see a previous post for insight on why the heat doesn't matter to my cooking schedule).  From $5 Dinner Mom, and taken to home fellowship.

Apple Berry Crumble
2 apples, peeled and cut into chunks
1 pint (2 cups) blueberries (I used some of the last of last year's frozen stash)
1/2 pound strawberries, hulled and quartered
2 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
Topping:
1 cup quick oats
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup butter

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease 7x11 or 8x8 inch glass dish with cooking spray.  Gently toss the fruits with the sugar and lemon juice in the prepared dish.

In a small bowl, combine the oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Cut in butter with a pastry blender until crumbles form.  Pour topping over the fruit in the dish.

Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.  Serve with ice cream or whipped cream (pictured without either)(haha).

 This came out great!  Once I started scooping it, someone asked if it had rhubarb in it.  I replied with an emphatic NO, but then did see that the apples could have been mistaken for rhubarb.  Even my son who does not like strawberries liked this.  It was very yummy.  It didn't look as good as some of my crisp/cobbler recipes have when it came out of the oven, but it still tasted good, so I think that's mostly all that matters.

No comments: