Sunday, July 14, 2013

Chicken, Pecan, and Cherry Salad

Mmmmmmm I love pecans.  And fruity salad.  So of course I had to try this one.  This is the type of thing I know not all the children will eat.  But I know that I will like it so much that I still make it, and then make them something else quick.  Like cereal.  Or a sandwich.  From Simple & Delicious.

Chicken, Pecan, and Cherry Salad
8 cups torn mixed salad greens
2 pkg (6 oz each) ready-to-use grilled chicken breast strips (obviously you could use your own chopped cooked chicken here instead to save on the cost of these ready-to-use ones)
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
2 tbsp crumbled blue cheese (I don't think I like blue cheese...I used shredded Parmesan)
2 tbsp dried cherries
Vinaigrette:
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
6 tbsp olive oil

In a large bowl, combine first 5 ingredients.  In a small bowl, whisk together the first 6 vinaigrette ingredients; gradually whisk in oil until blended (I always put dressing ingredients in a tupperware cup and shake the daylights out of it).  Pour over salad; toss to coat.

I only used half of the amounts of lettuce and chicken, since I knew only 3 of us would be eating this.  But I kept everything else the same.

This was awesome!  Very fast to make, perfect for a hot Sunday after church.  I loved loved loved the pecans.  I knew I would though.  Definitely keeping this one and we'll definitely have it again.


No comments: