Friday, July 5, 2013

Cinnamon-Coffee Pecans

I like pecans.  They are expensive but worth it, unlike some other things I've tried.  I especially like them toasted.  So when I saw this in the Southern Living cookbook I'm working through, I knew I would like to make them for home fellowship, a safe place to bring things that, if I made them at home, I would be the only consumer of.  I halved this recipe since these nuts are so dang expensive, but here it is in the full format.

Cinnamon-Coffee Pecans
 3 cups pecan halves
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp instant coffee granules
1 tsp ground cinnamon
dash salt (how do you halve a dash of salt?  I did a sprinkle)

Spread pecans in an ungreased 10x15 jelly roll pan.  Bake at 350 for 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes (I only did 9, and should have only done 8 because a few of them burned and I had to throw them out).

Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan.  Cook over medium-low heat until sugar and coffee dissolve, stirring often.  Add pecans, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.

Spread pecans in ungreased pan.  Bake at 300 for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes (I only did 10 because they looked perfect at that point).  Cool completely; store in airtight container.

I snacked on a few of these, and so did my sister-in-law, who was visiting.  They are very scrumptious.  Perfect to add to an appetizer spread or whatever you do with these like this besides just eat them.  A keeper for sure.

No comments: