Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Skillet Beef and Potatoes

We had this for lunch on Sunday.  It was so good.  At first I usually think that steak is too expensive to have for a meal for all of us.  But when I did the math on this one, I was pleasantly surprised.  $7 for the steak, $3 for the potatoes, something like $0.79 for the (canned and delicious) green beans, and maybe $2 for the biscuit ingredients.  So that's $12.79 for a meal that fed 5 of us with a small serving left over that Steve took to work the next day for lunch. Granted, the younger children did not have huge servings, but we all felt like we had enough (hence the leftover portion Steve could take to work).  And the hardest part of the recipe was slicing the potatoes and the steak. Here's the recipe, from Simple & Delicious.
Skillet Beef & Potatoes
1 ½ lbs red potatoes, halved and cut into 1/4" slices
1/3 cup water
½ tsp salt
1 lb beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
½ cup chopped onion
3 tbsp oil, divided
2 tsp garlic pepper blend (I didn't have this, but I did have "Seasoned Pepper" and garlic powder, so I kind of made my own)
1 1/2 tsp minced fresh rosemary (they didn't have this when I went shopping, just an empty space where it should have been...so I skipped it.  But sometimes I don't like the feel of rosemary anyway...kind of like chewing a pine branch.  Although I do enjoy the aromatic smell of it)

Place potatoes, water, and salt in a microwave-safe dish; microwave covered on high for 7-9 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Drain.

Meanwhile, toss beef with onion, 2 tbsp oil, and pepper blend.  Place in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add half of the beef mixture; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink.  Remove from pan; repeat with remaining beef mixture.  (You can probably do this all at once instead of in two batches if your skillet is big enough)

Scrape out skillet and heat remaining 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat.  Add the drained potatoes; cook 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally.  Add beef back into skillet and heat through.

Everybody thought this was so good.  The potatoes were especially good.  This was easy, and as illustrated in my math lesson above, fairly inexpensive as far as steak & potatoes go for a family of 5.  And naturally GF which I always appreciate.  No doubt, we will definitely have this again.


No comments: