Friday, June 17, 2016

Slow-Cooker Teriyaki Chicken

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you have heard (read) me lament about how nothing that comes out of a crock pot looks good.  It is easy and convenient, but always looks just blah.  Sadly this recipe is no exception.  The source of this recipe is from a post that a friend of mine posted on facebook.  The picture accompanying the recipe looked very nice.  And the hook is that it's better Chinese food than you could get at a Chinese restaurant (no argument from me there, it's definitely less fat and probably a lot of other things too).  Here is the link to the original blog post (because, to be clear, I am not a plagiarizer.  I try recipes I see and then make them and post the results).  http://slowcooker-chicken.cooktopcove.com/2016/05/13/how-to-make-slow-cooker-chicken-teriyaki/  If you click the link you can clearly see how yummy the recipe looks.  Also notice the sesame seeds.  Which are not a listed ingredient.  How hard would it have been for me to sprinkle sesame seeds on top?  Not hard at all, but that's not the point.  And my finished product looked far far worse than the picture there.  Ok so here's the recipe.  Which was very easy and tasty (I try to always give credit where credit is due).

Slow-Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
1 lb chicken breasts, cut into 1" chunks
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup teriyaki sauce (I buy GF teriyaki sauce from the NLC)
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced

Place chicken in bottom of crock pot sprayed with cooking spray.  In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients.  Pour over chicken.  Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours or on high 2-3 hours.

See how easy?  And everybody really liked it.  Here's how mine looked (wait!  If you haven't clicked the link above to see how they said it would look, please do before you look at mine, so you can see what I'm talking about....)
As you can see, mine looks nothing like theirs.  But, it was very tasty.  I made the rice in my Aroma rice cooker (one of the best things I've ever invested in for the kitchen).  Steve took the chicken & rice the next day to work, but then I ran out of rice, so I just took chicken to work and made a little salad out of it.  I think I did start with slightly more than a pound of chicken, although I didn't weigh it.  So despite the false advertising of the blog (haha) I am sure we will have this again, because it took only like 5 minutes to make this.  And to have everybody like it is awesome.

No comments: