Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Berry Delicious Bread

Sounds like it's right out of Strawberry Shortcake, doesn't it? Well, Emma still won't eat it. Anyway this was my dessert for these two weeks, not really dessert-y, more like a breakfast thing, but I wanted to fit it in somehow. It's from the state of Iowa from the Best of the Best from America cookbook from Mom.
Berry Delicious Bread
1 10 oz pkg frozen strawberries, thawed
3/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup oil
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)(I opted for not)
Grease & flour (who ever does that? I did use crisco though) 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Combine strawberries, sugar, oil & eggs. Beat on medium speed x 2 minutes (or just hand mix like I did). Add remaining dry ingredients, stir until moistened. Pour into pan and bake @ 350 for 50-60 mins (mine took 54 minutes). Cool in pan x 15 minutes, then remove.
So I thought this was really good. It smelled very yummy while baking. The kids won't try it, who both claim to hate strawberries. But my trusty Steve did try it, even though I know he doesn't like strawberries, and he still said it was good. I don't know if he'll have more than the one slice he had with lunch yesterday. I might have to eat the rest myself. So probably I won't make it unless we have spend the night company or if I am making a meal for someone at church, because it is silly to make a whole loaf of bread just for myself. So that's the scoop here.

No comments: