Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Chicken with Chocolate

This is what we had last night. It's from that cookbook mom got me, the Best of the Best from America, and this is from Nevada. It was more like chili sauce than I expected. No major complaints from the kids though (does that count as success?).

Chicken with Chocolate
1 (2 1/2 to 3 lb) fryer chicken, cut up (I used chicken breasts, cut in half, because they were out of whole chickens at Wal-mart when I went)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, chopped
2 8-oz cans tomato sauce
1-2 tsp crushed dried red pepper (I used 1)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp tabasco (I used like 4 drops)
2 cloves garlic, chopped (I didn't add more, because I just use that garlic in a jar and it's all
one shape, anyway)
1/2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate, finely grated

Heat oil in frying pan or skillet to a moderate heat. Brown chicken pieces in oil. When nicely browned, remove chicken to a Dutch oven or casserole with cover. In the skillet in which you browned the chicken, saute onion, garlic, and green pepper for 10-15 minutes on low heat. Add remaining 6 ingredients, mixing well. Simmer about 5 minutes. Spoon sauce over chicken pieces and bake at 350 for one hour (since I used boneless breasts this only took like 35 minutes). Yields 5-6 servings.

This wasn't bad, but also not spectacular. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it was kind of like chili sauce, but no beans, hamburg, etc. I probably won't make this again, only because there are lots of ways to make chicken that I love, and this I didn't love. But Steve liked it (of course). So anyway there you have it.


1 comment:

Mum said...

I've used chocolate in sauces before and it really only enhances the flavors, it doesn't have a distinctive taste of its own.

I'm surprised Emma ate it, though.

I love your blog, you girls are so talented!!