Tuesday, November 27, 2007

7-Minute Supper

Well, this was a lie. It took way longer than seven minutes to make this. Sam suggested maybe if you weren't a picky eater (like me) it would only take 7 minutes to eat. Maybe. This recipe is from Gooseberry Patch (again. Only one more to go from this cookbook). It wasn't that great. And I almost passed it over, but I can't resist anything with those french fried onions. So here it is...



7-Minute Supper

1 lb ground beef, browned (this by itself took 7 minutes to do. If I was being literal I would have stopped right here)
1/3 cup long-cooking rice, uncooked (I guess as opposed to minute rice)
1-oz pkg onion gravy mix
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 1/2 cups water
10-oz pkg frozen peas, thawed (I know, 2 recipes in a row with peas! This is why it took me longer than 7 minutes to eat, because I had to pick around the peas)
5-oz can water chestnuts (I doesn't say to drain, but I did)
2.8 oz can French-fried onions (that's the little size. I always buy the bigger size, then eat the extra. Can't help it they are soooo good)
soy sauce to taste

Add beef, rice, gravy mix, garlic salt and water to a 12" skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 15 minutes (see, they're not even pretending this will only take 7 minutes). Stir in peas and water chestnuts; simmer until rice is tender. Remove from heat; toss in onions. Season with soy sauce before serving.

So this was okay, but not great. I've definitely made worse. And everyone ate it, so that counts for something. Maybe my appetite was gone due to all the FF onions I ate while preparing it. Who knows.


1 comment:

magnantgirl said...

this was so saved by the french fried onions but they make almost everything tasty!!!