Monday, November 26, 2007

Turkey Tetrazzini

Hello! I have been saving this recipe for when I had turkey leftovers. It is from Gooseberry Patch. It might sound like a lot of work for leftovers, and it kind of was, but it was so yummy! Everybody liked this. Highly recommend...anyway here it is.


Turkey Tetrazzini
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
3 cups turkey gravy or broth (I had to buy canned gravy since there was no gravy leftovers from Thanksgiving)
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste
2 1/2 cups turkey, cooked and diced (I didn't dice it. Just cut it up into bite sized pieces)
5 cups prepared rotini (which after some trial and error, I discovered is a one-pound box, cooked)
10-oz pkg frozen peas, thawed (yes, I put these in. No, I didn't eat them. Made the kids, though. Hee hee)
1 cup sliced mushrooms (these I left out. Nobody likes them. Not even you. No you don't.)
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs

Saute onion and celery in butter in a 12" skillet until tender; reduce heat and whisk in flour and milk. Stir in gravy or broth, whisking constantly (which is basically impossible when you have 3 cans to open and your rotini cooking, too). Heat over low heat until thickened; add 3/4 cup cheese and stir until melted. Season as desired (since I used canned gravy I didn't add any extra salt). Combine sauce w/ turkey, pasta, peas, and mushrooms; spread in a 3-quart baking dish (which I do not have. I used my PC 9x13 baker and it came out perfect. I actually put the turkey and pasta in the baker, then poured the sauce over it, and stirred it right in the dish. It worked better than putting it all in the skillet and then having it overflow and me getting really mad. So this was good). Sprinkle w/ remaining cheese and bread crumbs. Bake @ 350 until hot and bubbly, about 20-30 minutes (mine took 22). Makes 6-8 servings.

Yeah so it makes a lot, and now we have leftovers from our leftovers. But that's okay because it tasted really good. So you guys should so try this. I think it would be yummy with chicken too if you don't want to wait to have turkey leftovers from next Thanksgiving =)

1 comment:

magnantgirl said...

I used this for lunch today and it is so YUMMY we are having these leftovers for supper tonight!!! Thanks for the keeper!