Thursday, June 26, 2008

Cheese Steak Subs

Hi guys! We had this on Monday and it was the easiest new recipe I've made in a while, but the title may be misleading, since there is no actual steak in it...it's from the big Taste of Home cookbook (pg 72, mom & jess).

Cheese Steak Subs
1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper (I just used green pepper)
1/2 cup julienned green pepper (and who knows how to julienne? Not I. I just sliced them up)
1/2 cup sliced onion
1/2 tsp vegetable oil
2 slices mozzarella cheese
4 oz thinly sliced deli roast beef (I used Hillshire Farms, the kind that comes in gladware that you can save and use again)
2 submarine sandwich buns, split

In a small skillet, saute the peppers and onion in oil until tender. Cut cheese slices in half. Place beef and cheese onto the bottom of each bun. Broil 4 inches from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with pepper mixture and bun tops. 2 servings

So right away you can see that you would have to double this recipe if you have many people in your family. The roast beef said on the container that it was 8 oz, but I made 4 sandwiches with it and had a little left over for leftovers, so don't double the meat that you buy. Steve loved these, I knew he would, that's why I made them. He had the peppers and onions on his, I only had onions on mine, and Sam and Emma had theirs with just the meat and cheese. It was well received. And it was quite easy, so I'm sure this will be a keeper. But watch when you broil! One time when Jessica was over I broiled garlic bread which we had thought up the ingredients for in our own heads and it was going to be so good...but I forgot it was in the oven and it was like black and smoky by the time I remembered. Jessica spent like 5 minutes scraping the black off the bread, which we still served, even though I thought we should chuck it. Our family is not one for food wasting, I guess. So this time I set the timer so I wouldn't forget. And it took 90 seconds for them to be perfectly broiled. So set your timer if you make this =)

No comments: