Thursday, June 12, 2008

Chocolate-Peanut Butter Candy Dessert

Reese's Pieces must be trademarked, and it must not be owned by Kraft. I made this on Monday and it was very good. I altered it a little to fit our budget, I'll tell you how when we get there, and Steve and Sam loved it! It's definitely a keeper. It's the only recipe I wanted to try out of the most recent Kraft Food & Family summer 2008 mag.

Reese's Pieces Dessert (see what a rebel I am?)
12 oreo chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
2 tbsp butter, melted (okay so a pkg of oreos cost 3.29 and I only needed 12. An oreo pie crust was 1.29 and I would use it all and not be tempted to eat all the other oreos. So that's what I did is put it in the pie crust instead. It was a bit overfull but it was still okay)
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 cups cold milk
2 pkg (4 svg size each) jello chocolate flavor instant pudding
2 cups cool whip, divided
2 tbsp hot fudge ice cream topping (I just used the chocolate syrup that we use for chocolate milk)
1/4 cup reese's pieces (or, candy coated peanut butter pieces, if you don't own the trademark.)(I bought the small pkg by the check out at Rite Aid, which is the only place lately that I've been able to find these candies which my children love. Unless Oma brings them...)

Mix crushed cookies and butter; press firmly onto bottom of 8-inch square pan (obviously skip this step if you buy the oreo pie crust). Place peanut butter in large bowl. Gradually add milk, stirring with wire whisk until well blended. Add dry pudding mixes. Beat 2 minutes or until blended (mixture will be thick). Stir in 1 cup of cool whip. Spread into prepared crust; top evenly with remaining cool whip (it was so funny what Ken said about cool whip in 2nd service last week--"cool whip-they won't tell you what it is. They tell you what it's not, non-dairy, but they won't tell you what it IS"). Refrigerate 3 hours or until set. When ready to serve, microwave fudge topping as directed on pkg; drizzle over dessert (or, squirt your Hershey's syrup onto it). Sprinkle with candies. Store leftovers in refrigerator. 12 servings (cha, right...maybe 8 servings if you aren't that hungry).

So like I said, this was a crowd pleaser. I only got one piece, Sam and Emma got one piece each, and Daddy got the rest. Not all on Monday, but over the course of the last few days he has had it, and just not mentioned it as an option to the kids after supper. He finished it off last night and I got one bite of the last piece. I don't mind though because I mostly make this stuff for him, and it's a big compliment when he hides it in the back of the fridge so no one will see that it's there.

No comments: