Monday, June 16, 2008

Ravioli Soup

So I'm a little behind since I worked this past weekend, but we had this one on Thursday night. It is from the Taste of Home cookbook, pg 61 (just before "Spicy Fish Soup" which I was this close to making). The picture shows it rather soupy but it came out more just like really thick pasta sauce, at least for me, but it tasted pretty good.

Ravioli Soup
1 pound ground beef
2 cups water
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 can (14 1/2 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (I left this out)
2 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp thyme
1 pkg (9 oz) refrigerated cheese ravioli (I used a bag of frozen, I think it was 25 oz or so)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add all the ingredients except ravioli and parmesan cheese; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, cook ravioli according to pkg directions (this is why it doesn't matter if you buy fresh or frozen, and fresh is more expensive so I went frozen); drain. Add to soup and heat through. Stir in the parmesan cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 svgs (2 1/2 quarts)

So we had garlic bread with this, which was good because it definitely needs something like that. This "soup" is so thick that we ate it with forks, so it wasn't really soupy at all. It seems like they just wanted to call it that. Steve said it was a keeper but I'm not so sure, it did taste good but it was just odd...like open up a jar of Ragu thick and chunky and add ravioli and garlic bread and there's supper. So I'm still deciding if I'm putting this one into the permanent file. But even Emma ate it, so that has to count for something.

No comments: