Thursday, June 5, 2008

Poppy Seed Citrus Cake

I made this on Tuesday. The kids were like, "whose birthday is it?" and I was like "no one's." So then they were all "why are you making a cake then?" and I said "because I borrowed this pan from Autumn and I want to give it back tomorrow night at church so I'm not a bad borrower." Come to find out, I was a bad borrower anyway because I gave the pan back...empty. I hear your gasp from here. I forgot that it was a polite thing to do to give a borrowed pan back with something yummy in it. Probably she'll never loan to me again. Too bad, because this was a good cake. But I can get a pan like this at a yard sale, I bet. Oh yeah, this recipe is from Simple & Delicious Mar/April 2008.

Poppy Seed Citrus Cake
1 pkg (18 1/4 oz) lemon cake mix
3 eggs
1 1/3 cups orange juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 to 2 tbsp poppy seeds (I used just over 1 tbsp and it was plenty. Probably we'd all fail drug tests now)
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1 tsp grated orange peel
Glaze: 2 cups confectioner's sugar
3-4 tbps orange juice
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp grated orange peel

In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, orange juice, and oil. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Fold in the poppy seeds and lemon and orange peels. Pour into a well-greased and floured 10 inch fluted tube pan (ask Autumn if you can use hers if you don't have one. But you better fill it with something when you give it back). Bake @ 350 for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and orange juice until smooth. Drizzle over the cake (put it on your serving plate before you put the frosting on, of course, relse it will drizzle all over your counter from the cooling rack). Sprinkle with lemon and orange peels (I didn't sprinkle them on, because then the frosting would have been like chewy, I thought. But I did use them in the mix. Did you know you can buy bottles of peel in the spice aisle? You can). 12 servings

So, this was quite good. Emma didn't want to try it because of "the black things" so her drug test would come out clean. But everyone else liked it, including the baby. So we'll keep this one.

No comments: