Friday, June 6, 2008

Chicken Potpies

Yep, two pies. That's why I initially wanted to make this recipe, because it has directions for 2 potpies, one you make now and one you can freeze for up to 3 months. As it ended up, I made a meal for some people with a new baby, so I used the 2nd potpie for that. It's from simple & delicious mar/apr 2008. And I had all the pans I needed for this one =)

Chicken Potpies
4 cups cooked cubed chicken
4 cups southern-style hash brown potatoes, thawed
1 pkg (16 oz) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained (I just used corn)
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of onion soup, undiluted (good luck with this one...I checked all 3 grocery chains in our area and no one had it...I just used 2 cans of cream of chicken)
1 cup milk
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 pkg (15 oz) refrigerated pie pastry (I used 2 pkg...to me, a potpie with just a top crust is a crime)

In a large bowl (LARGE), combine all ingredients except the pie crust. Divide between two deep dish 9 inch pie plates. Roll out the pastry to fit the top of each pie (if you're using two crusts, you would obviously need to lay down one inside the pie plate before adding the filling...I think I probably didn't need to type that, but you never know with some people). Cut slits in the top crust and trim, seal, and flute the edges (or just pinch it up...you know what to do). Cover and freeze one pot pie for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining potpie @ 400 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. To use frozen potpie: Cover edges loosely with foil; place on a baking sheet. Bake @425 for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350; remove foil and bake 50-55 minutes longer or until golden brown. Yield: 2 potpies, 6 servings each.

So, this was pretty good. For me, nothing beats potpie made with chicken dinner leftovers, but this was still good. I have a couple other recipes for potpies, so I have to do some further investigation before I decide if it's a keeper or not. Sam said it was the best potpie he had ever had, and that unless it was really bad, he liked all my cooking. So that's good (I think). Emma just picked at this, but then, she just picks at everything except like chips and candy. I didn't even try Nathan because he is just as picky. But those of us that ate this liked it. I may keep it just to actually freeze them, we'll see.

No comments: