Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Chicken Tortilla Bake

We had this for supper tonight before church. I knew it would be a little spicy, but Steve likes that sort of thing even though I'm a big baby about spice. But half way through making it, I was like, the kids are not going to eat this...so Emma and Nathan had chicken nuggets and Sam picked the chicken and tortillas out of his piece...this one is from Simple & Delicious March/April 2008.

Chicken Tortilla Bake
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil, divided
1 can (16 oz) refried beans
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, drained (I could only find 10 oz cans of this, and ooooh doggie these were spicy. I don't think they were mild, my can must have been mislabeled)
8 flour tortillas (8 inches), cut into 1-inch strips (I used my new sharp PC cutting knife, that thing is sharp and made cutting the tortillas very easy)
1 can (11 oz) Mexicorn, drained
2 cups (8 oz) shredded cheddar cheese

In a large skillet, saute the chicken, cumin, and salt in 1 tbsp of oil until chicken is no longer pink (it doesn't tell what temperature, so I did medium). Combine the refried beans and tomatoes; spread 1 cup into a greased 11x7 inch baking dish. Top with 24 tortilla strips (I did not count, I guesstimated); layer with half of the corn, bean mixture, chicken, and cheese. Repeat layers. Using remaining tortilla strips, make a lattice crust over the filling; brush with remaining 1 tsp olive oil. Bake, uncovered @ 350 for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. 6 servings.

So, I am a ding bat and completely left out the cheese. After I put it in the oven, I looked to see what to set the timer for, and I saw that it said or until cheese melted, and I was like "crap!" So I served the cheese on the side, so to speak. I just sprinkled it on the plates once I put the casserole on it. Steve did like this meal, but he didn't have 2nds, which means, in Steve's Body Language and Subtle Hints, that he didn't love it. I ended up doing similar to Sam and picking things out that didn't set my mouth on fire. Emma was like, I'm glad I'm eating chicken nuggets. I asked if she wanted to trade plates but she didn't. So, this one was not a keeper. But if you like spicy stuff, you might want to try it. Just don't forget the cheese.

No comments: