Friday, May 23, 2008

Bacon Swiss Bread

We had this last night with the Monterey Jack Cheese Soup that I posted a few months ago. It wasn't really what I wanted it to be. It looks scrumptious in the picture, but of course I was unable to duplicate it...Emma plugged her nose while she was helping me make it because of the onions. It's from the Taste of Home cookbook (pg 32).

Bacon Swiss Bread
1 loaf (1 pound) French bread (20 inches)(I bought wheat french bread. I always try to if I can because then I can try to convince myself that this is good for me in some way)
2/3 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup chopped green onions
4 tsp prepared mustard
5 slices process Swiss cheese (or, chehz, if you are JoJo)
5 bacon strips

Cut bread into 1 inch thick slices, leaving slices attached at the bottom. In a bowl, combine the butter, onions, and mustard; spread on both sides of each slice of bread (harder than it sounds, dripping everywhere, plus after I was done I still had more than half of it left over so it was a waste of butter which I was running short on anyway). Cut each cheese slice diagonally into 4 triangles; place between the slices of bread. Cut bacon in half widthwise and then lengthwise; drape a piece over each slice of bread. Place the loaf on a double thickness of aluminum foil (such easy cleanup, not at all like the meatballs from last week...I didn't even was the pan!). Bake @ 400 for 20-25 minutes or until bacon is crisp.

I think one of the main problems with this bread was the bacon. We currently have bacon from a hapless farm pig, and it is thicker and less fatty than, say, the Oscar Mayer bacon you would get at the Walmart. But it smells smoky and good. Anyway, the bacon didn't like mold to the bread (okay, it says drape, but the bacon just laid there, similar to if you laid a popsicle stick on each slice), and so it just cooked on top of the bread and stayed straight. It looked weird. It was done after like 14 minutes, bacon wise, but the bread could have used a little longer. I thought it would be like garlic bread, nice and crisp, but no, it was soggy and mustardy, and not really a good pairing with that soup. I knew Emma wouldn't touch either one, so she and Nathan had chicken nuggets. Sam is a good eater, and I thought he ate the soup last time, although I will have to go back and check. But this time, after about 5 minutes, he said he didn't really like either one. Steve told him he had to eat one or the other, and he picked the bread. Steve liked it, of course. And I ate it, but it just wasn't what I thought it would be. He took some of the leftovers to work this morning with the rest of the soup, but I don't know how he'll heat it up. I think it will be even worse if he warms it up in the microwave, soggier and grosser, and it's not like they'll let him use the oven real quick. Oh well.

No comments: