Monday, May 5, 2008

Whole Oven-Barbecued Chicken

This is what we had for supper tonight. It's another one from the Kraft Spring '08 magazine. I had a chicken in the bottom of our freezer in the basement, and I pulled it out yesterday to defrost it, then I looked at the "use by" date and it was Apr 13 '07! Ha. So I called my mom and was all, can I still use this, and she was like, well it might taste freezer burnt but it's safe to eat. So I used it. It didn't really taste any different than other chickens I've had, so apparently greater than 1 year in the deep freeze is no problem...

Whole Oven-Barbecued Chicken
2 lemons
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1 tsp italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 whole chicken (3 lbs)(mine was 4 lbs)
1 pkg stove top stuffing mix for chicken

Preheat oven to 350. Grate 1/2 tsp lemon peel (I skipped this part because I have lemon peel in a jar). Cut lemons in half; squeeze juice into small bowl. Set aside lemon halves. Add barbecue sauce and italian seasoning to lemon juice; mix well. Place chicken in baking pan. Place 2 of the lemon halves and garlic cloves inside the cavity of the chicken (so gross). Rub skin of chicken with remaining lemon halves and discard. Tie legs together with kitchen twine (the chicken's legs, not yours. That would make the rest of your day difficult)(I don't have any kitchen twine, so I just kept the legs untied, and nothing happened. Like, the bird didn't explode or anything). Bake 1 hour and 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees), brushing with the barbecue sauce mixture every 5 minutes during the last 20 minutes of cooking time. Sprinkle with reserved lemon peel during the last 5 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare stuffing mix as directed on package. Place in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish sprayed with cooking spray and cover. Place stuffing in oven during last 30 minutes of chicken baking time.Remove and discard lemon halves and garlic cloves from chicken cavity. Skim fat from drippings in chicken baking pan; serve drippings with chicken and stuffing. 6 servings.

So, after all that, we don't eat chicken skin, because it's just gross to eat the skin of something. So just the meat didn't really taste all that barbecue-y or lemon-y. But it was still good chicken, just the scenic route to get there. On another note, I bought the whole wheat stove top stuffing, since it was healthier fiber wise, but it wasn't quite as good. It was much more soggy, and it just looked like brown glop instead of how in regular stove top you can see the spices and stuff. Sam said (and I'm sure he was trying to be sweet) "I'm sure this tastes much better than it looks, Mom!" And it didn't taste bad, just not the usual appearance of stuffing. So I'm not keeping this recipe because it was a lot of work, and not great when it was done.

No comments: