Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mini Toffee Rolls

So on Tuesday Steve was home all morning since we had a plumber coming, so I made these for lunch. We had them with scrambled eggs, since we still have dozens of eggs in our fridge...Emma helped a little bit and they were quite tasty. From Simple & Delicious

Mini Toffee Rolls
6 tbsp butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup english toffee bits or almond brickle chips
2 tubes (8 oz each) refrigerated crescent rolls
1 cup confectioners' sugar
4 1/2 tsp milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

In a small mixing bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon until light and fluffy. Stir in toffee bits. Separate each tube of crescent dough into 4 rectangles; seal perforations. Spread evenly with the butter mixture. Roll up each rectangle jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cut each into six 1 inch slices; place cut side down into two greased 8x8 inch square baking dishes. Bake @ 375 for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over warm rolls. 4 dozen

Okay so these are dinky. We ate like 3.1 dozen with our meal and then left a few out for mom & the kids to have in the afternoon. And, I cooked them all in one 8x8 pan because they were so dinky, so they were touching in the pan, so they took longer to cook then were all stuck together once it was time to eat them. So if I make them again it will be in 2 pans like it says...I should've listened to the person who made them before, oh well. Also, I am on the fence about this recipe...it costs about the same as buying cinnamon roll dough and baking it, but is considerably more effort...I asked Steve if he thought these were that much better than cinnamon rolls, and he was too busy chewing to answer me. I think I will save it because they would be cute for a brunch or something, but I most likely won't make them again for the fam.

No comments: