Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Change-of-Pace Burgers and Loaded Waffle Fries

Well, my faithful readership (Mom) has probably noticed I have been on a bit of a hiatus lately. While Steve was in Haiti, I didn't really cook much of anything. I liken it to painting for a blind man. My kids are so picky it seems pointless to make something that I am reasonably sure they will not eat (except Samuel who is such a good eater). So anyway, Steve got back yesterday afternoon. I made cookies (a separate post) and this is what we had for supper. It is from Simple & Delicious Mar/Apr 2008.

Change-of-Pace Burgers
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
3 tbsp chopped fresh mushrooms (I left these out)
3 tbsp chili sauce
1 pound ground beef
4 hamburger buns, split (duh. who would not split a hamburger bun? Would they just place it on top of the bun? or the bun on top of the burger like a hat? Come on people)

In a large bowl combine onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and chili sauce. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 4 patties (they didn't really hold together very well...). In a large skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat is no longer pink. Serve on buns (we added cheese as well). 4 burgers.

Loaded Waffle Fries
Okay so I couldn't find waffle fries at Walmart or Hannaford. So I used crinkle cut fries. If you make this, I would follow the french fry-cooking directions on the bag of fries you get, rather than these here.

4 cups frozen waffle cut fries
1/2 to 1 1/2 tsp steak seasoning (I used Mrs Dash steak blend. It's what I had)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp chopped green onion
2 tbsp real bacon bits

Arrange fries in a greased 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Bake @ 450 for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with steak seasoning; toss to coat. Top with cheese, onions, and bacon. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. 4 servings

So. This made a way lot of fries. We have half of them left over. Steve and I liked them but the kids didn't really. I gave Nathan the ones from the edge with no seasoning or cheese and he ate them. Same with Emma. I gave Sam loaded ones and he didn't even touch them. I think I will save this recipe but if I make it again I think I will leave out the steak seasoning. It was just a weird thing, I guess. The burgers were pretty good. The little ones had hot dogs, but Steve, Sam and I had the burgers. They were moist and tasty, even if they were hard to keep together. So I guess we have a keeper.

No comments: