Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Slow-Cooked Short Ribs

So we made this last night and they were so yummy! It is from TOH pg 100...this made a lot of ribs. So remember that part in Genesis where Isaac & Abraham were climbing to Mt Moriah and Isaac was all, "hey Dad, where is the lamb for the sacrifice" and Abraham was all "God will provide Himself a lamb." So when I bought these 4 lbs of ribs, I was like "Who will eat these many ribs with us?" And God provided some co-eaters. Because I was watching the Del Monaco children while Lisa had an appointment yesterday afternoon. And they had been in the crockpot all day (the ribs, not her kids) and smelled so good, and when Lisa dropped the kids off, she was like "something smells good" and I was like "it's new recipe night." So when she was done I invited them to have supper with us and it was a great time of food and intercourse (hee hee. That's what they called fellowship in Old English...we are staying in Intercourse, PA when we go to Amish country...also I am reading Alfred Edersheim right now, and twice in 2 pages he called fellowship "intercourse"...isn't that funny? It certainly makes you look twice, anyway...in case I need to clarify here, we just had a good time talking last night with our friends). Well anyway here is the recipe...

Slow-Cooked Short Ribs
2/3 cup flour
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 to 4 1/2 pounds boneless beef short ribs
1/4 to 1/3 cup butter (I just used 1/4)
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups beef broth
3/4 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup worcestershire sauce
5 garlic cloves, minced (thank you, Pampered Chef)
1 1/2 tsp chili powder

In a large ziploc bag, combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Add ribs in batches and shake to coat. In a large skillet, brown ribs in butter. Transfer to a 6 quart slow cooker. In the same skillet, combine the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil; pour over ribs. Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours (mine only took like 8) or until meat is tender. 12 servings.

See how easy? And they were really quite good. Ethan, the youngest Del Monaco (who can eat), even had seconds, and on other visits to my home he has not wanted anything to do with what I have cooked. So I would say this is a keeper. And the crock pot cooking smell is so good. Yankee should make a candle of like "Crock Pot Cooking" smell or something because it is a good aroma to come in the house to. We had this with buttered cheese noodles, which was a new recipe from like 2004, but now I make all the time, it's the only way I make noodles now, practically. I am including it here because Lisa said she liked it.

Buttered Cheese Noodles
1 pkg egg noodles
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried chives (Sam said this as "cheeves" one day, as in Mom, what are cheeves?)(I usually use a bit more chives than this though...maybe like 2 tsp)

In a large pot bring water to a boil. Add noodles, 1 tsp salt, and a pat of butter. Cook the noodles until they are done; drain. Return noodles to pan, add butter and stir to coat. Add remaining 1/2 tsp salt, pepper, parmesan cheese, and cheeves and stir. Serve warm. Last night I made the full bag, but usually when it's just the 5 of us I make half the bag of noodles and decrease everything else by half. Because otherwise it's way too much, and I have found that these do not reheat very well.

There. Also we had freezer burnt green beans with this, they were the dark spot of the meal. But then, the vegetable usually is the dark spot of the meal for me anyway. Saturday we are going to Amish country!! We are so excited! Talk to you all soon!

No comments: