Thursday, July 17, 2008

Seasoned Swiss Steak

Why is it called Swiss? I do not know. It didn't seem very Swiss, based on the Swiss things I am familiar with, such as Swiss Miss and Swiss Army Knife. So I don't know the origin of the title, but it was a very tasty meal. We had it last night. It's from Taste of Home cookbook pg 98.

Seasoned Swiss Steak
1/4 cup flour
1 tbsp ground mustard
1 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp pepper, divided
1 1/2 pounds boneless beef top round steak (about 1 inch thick), cut into serving-size pieces
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup diced carrots (who dices carrots? Not me. I just cut them up)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper (which I did not have, so I left it out)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup cold water

Combine the flour, mustard, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper; set aside 2 tbsp for gravy. Rub remaining flour mixture over steak. Pound with a meat mallet to tenderize. In a lg skillet, brown steak in oil over medium-high heat. Transfer to a greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish. Top with carrots, onion, green pepper, brown sugar, and worcestershire sauce. Pour tomatoes over all. Cover and bake @ 350 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (did I actually have my oven on that long on a hot summer day? Yes I did, because I have to follow my system) or until meat and vegetables are tender. Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving dish; keep warm. Strain pan juices into a measuring cup; add water to measure 1 cup. In a saucepan, combine reserved flour mixture with the cold water until smooth. Whisk in pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add remaining salt and pepper. Serve over steak. 6 servings.

So these were like little yummy pot roasts. They were so good and tender. Nathan didn't try it, but everybody else liked them, even Emma. I think I am keeping this one, even though I probably won't make it often because steak is so expensive. But I will have it in my file anyway. Now I am all caught up from when Steve is gone and can proceed as usual. Have a good day girls!!

No comments: