Sunday, July 20, 2008

MREs with Daddy

For you who have been with me from the beginning, you will know that what I'm about to do is a New Recipe Night first. I am going to feature a guest chef and his new recipe, as well as the kids' response to it. Now, the guest chef is my husband, the amazing and talented Steve. I was at work on Thursday, and he had an MRE left over from his hike in Haiti a couple of weeks ago, so he decided to make it for the kids, thinking that at least it would be fun for them to see how it self-heats and stuff. The main reason I am posting this is Samuel's reaction, which will follow the recipe:

Cheese Tortellini MRE
Follow the directions on the package. Open it and eat it.

Okay. So Steve said it was not that good. Sam had a couple bites, and he said (and this is almost a direct quote): "Well, Dad, I'll try again when I'm older, because I read that some of our taste buds die when we get old, so maybe I'll like it then." What a crack up! This kid is brilliant and funny. And what's even cuter is that he was not trying to be sarcastic. He was trying to make Steve feel better about not liking it, and saying he would try again later. What a sweet boy. Emma and Nathan, predictably, did not eat it. Guess I will remain the chief cook around here.

No comments: