Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Molasses Raisin Chews

So I had planned to make these while Steve was gone, because he doesn't really care for raisin-containing foods. But, VBS kicked my butt while he was gone and I didn't do anything extra. Except what I needed to survive (thank you Spaceballs). So I made these on Monday, when my excitement about seeing him gave me a 2nd wind. Yes, I could've skipped them and made something he would've loved, but you see I have a system that I must stick to (thank you Mom). The reason I wanted to make these is because this is my favorite cookie that they make at the hospital, and this is the first recipe I've really seen for them. I'm sure this will be one I make again (sorry Steve) because all the kids like them. Even Nathan. And that is impressive.

Molasses Raisin Chews
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves (or chives, if you are Jessi trying to taste out the recipe. Hee hee)
1/4 tsp salt (important...I almost forgot this and added it at the very end...)
1 cup milk
1 cup raisins

In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk (very easy to do with my sweet Kitchen Aid mixer), beating well after each addition. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Arrange 3 raisins on each cookie (now that seemed silly to me, and like it would take too long. So I added the raisins after everything was mixed together, just all at once and mixed them in like chocolate chips). Bake @ 350 for 10-12 minutes or until set (mine took like 17-18 minutes for each cookie sheet. Not even kidding). Remove to wire racks to cool. 5 1/2 dozen.

So when Nathan woke up from his nap and saw the cookies on the cooling rack, he was like "Tootie! Tootie!" So he had the first one and he has had several since. So we are definitely keeping this because that just doesn't happen very often. And tonight we went to the park for a picnic with Jessi and JoJo and I made Jessi eat one even though she said she didn't care for molasses cookies. But she ate it. And a 2nd one. So you see this is a good recipe.

No comments: