Thursday, January 15, 2009

Cinnamon Raisin Bread

Okay so yes I just made something like this, but it was quick bread. This was yeast bread, or I supposed you could call it "long bread." I made it yesterday afternoon. It's from Taste of Home pg 457. Even though this wasn't my favorite, I am going to try other yeast breads as well. At least I plan to. I did make some like a year ago but I kind of fizzled out. But this time I'm really going to try it.

Cinnamon Raisin Bread
2 pkg active dry yeast
1/3 cup warm water (110-115 degrees)
1 cup warm milk (110-115 degrees)
1/2 cup sugar
6 tbsp butter, softened
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 tsp salt
5 1/2 to 6 cups flour
Filling:
1 1/3 cups golden raisins
1 1/3 cups raisins
1 cup water
1/3 cup apple juice or apple cider
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 egg, beaten

In a lg mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, sugar, butter, eggs, salt, and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (I do not like ranges like this. I like to know exactly what I am going to need. This has one too many variables for my taste. Also my sweet Kitchen Aid mixer has a bread dough attachment so it wasn't even hard to stir, even after all that flour). Turn onto a floured surface (I have a PC pie thingy that I used); knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (mine took only like 2 minutes, I think it may have been because of the bread hook thing in the mixer). Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. In a saucepan, bring first five filling ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 15-20 minutes or until almost all liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; set aside. Punch dough down. Turn onto lightly floured surface; knead for 1 minute. Divide in half. Roll each half into a 12x8 inch rectangle; brush with egg. Spread half the filling over each rectangle to within 1/2 inch of edge. Roll up jelly roll style, starting with a short side; pinch to seal. Place each loaf seam-side down in a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour (see, definitely "long bread"). Bake @ 350 for 35-40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. Cover loosely with foil if tops brown too quickly (oops). Remove from pans to cool on wire rack. 2 loaves, 16 slices each.

Okay. Well. This smelled quite good while it was baking. I made 2 loaves, gave one to Autumn because she ran Emma around for me yesterday and forged my name on a form, which I appreciated. So I gave her the 2nd loaf of bread. This morning I was eating some of the remaining loaf, and I kept thinking that this tasted like it could use some salt. Then I checked the recipe again and saw that I was supposed to put salt in. DUH! So I gave my friend a loaf of bread as a thank you that lacked an important ingredient. I called her this morning to inquire and she (nicely) said she did not think it needed salt. What a pal. Anyway that being said, I wasn't all that crazy about the swirl, either. I usually really like raisin bread, but I guess I like my raisins all incorporated into the dough, instead of swirled in a concentrated area. Each bite seeemed to have way too many raisins, or else none. I was going to try this again, with the salt, but since I didn't love the filling I have changed my mind. There must be a recipe that has it all together. Or something.

No comments: