Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Hearty Brown Quick Bread

I made this bread on New Year's Eve eve. We had it with baked beans. I always remember hearing about "brown bread" growing up...how my mom loved it and my Aunt Mo hated it. I thought it was worth a try. It made two loaves and I gave one to my mom. Last time I checked she hadn't eaten it yet, so don't ask her if it was good. It's from TOH pg 434.

Hearty Brown Quick Bread
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cups buttermilk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans (they never even noticed)

In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugars, baking soda, and salt. Stir in buttermilk and eggs just until moistened. Fold in raisins and nuts. Pour into 2 9x5x3 inch loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake @ 350 for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. 2 loaves (16 slices each)

So everyone but Nathan ate this. No one noticed the nuts (which they all claim to hate) except me because I knew they were in there. We had this with baked beans and leftover Christmas ham. I had some for toast the next morning as well. The rest of it didn't really get eaten because of holiday leftovers. But it was still pretty good. I'm going to try yeast bread starting next week, so stay tuned for that...I think there is a lot more room for error there so I'm a little nervous...

No comments: