Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mock Stroganoff & Lemon Green Beans

So I've never had real stroganoff, except for Hamburger Helper Beef Stroganoff, which I still think isn't real stroganoff, but I thought this sounded good, and it had a picture which I thought looked good, so I decided to try it. It's from S&D Jan/Feb 2009. It sounds really easy. Maybe a little...too...easy.

Mock Stroganoff
3 cups uncooked yolk-free egg noodles
1 lb ground beef
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (I left these out. Hate those slimy things. I know I have said that before but it's still true)
1 1/2 cups water
2 envelopes brown gravy mix
2 cups (16 oz) sour cream

Cook noodles according to pkg directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, and shrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in water and gravy mix. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream. Drain noodles. Serve with meat mixture. 4 servings.

What is mock about this? I don't know. I didn't like it though. As a rule, I do not like sour cream as a garnish, for example, with nachos. But I have used it as an ingredient in other things and not even noticed, for example in my Yummy Chicken Soup. But I think this was too much sour cream. The kids liked it (well not Nathan) but even Steve agreed it tasted funny. So not keeping this one. The beans were good, though.

Lemon Green Beans
1 pkg (16 oz) frozen cut green beans, thawed
2 tbsp water
1 1/2 tsp dried minced onion
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp real bacon bits
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Place the beans, water, and onion in a 1-qt microwave safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. 4 servings.

This is way more than 4 servings, unless your family has like half a plate full of green beans. This recipe I am going to save because everyone liked it except Nathan. He did put one on his fork and think about it, but that's as far as we got

No comments: